GITNUX MARKETDATA REPORT 2024

Diversity In The Gaming Industry Statistics

The gaming industry lacks diversity with underrepresentation of women and minority groups, both in workforce and game development.

Statistic 1

"Almost 30% of game developers are women, making it far from gender parity in the industry"

Sources Icon

Statistic 2

"Only just above 2% of game developers are African American."

Sources Icon

Statistic 3

"The number of LGBTQ+ identifying individuals in the gaming industry is on the rise - from 11% up to 19% between 2015 and 2020."

Sources Icon

Statistic 4

"In 2021, only 1% of video games had a protagonist of color."

Sources Icon

Statistic 5

"Over 83% of Black/African American gamers feel that diversity in video game characters is important."

Sources Icon

Statistic 6

"Only 3% of the games released in 2020 featured a protagonist who is a person of color."

Sources Icon

Statistic 7

"In the U.S., about 60% of adults and 20% of all people play video games, yet diversity within game creators remains low."

Sources Icon

Statistic 8

"68% of game creators are Caucasian."

Sources Icon

Statistic 9

"About 71% of people designing games are men, only 29% are women."

Sources Icon

Statistic 10

"Only 24% of all game developers in North America are women."

Sources Icon

Statistic 11

"13% of video game developers in the United States report a disability of some kind."

Sources Icon

Statistic 12

"41% of game developers report that they believe diversity in game content is important for the industry."

Sources Icon

Statistic 13

"Only 8% of game developers are of Hispanic/Latino descent."

Sources Icon

Statistic 14

"Asian developers make up 15% of the industry."

Sources Icon

Statistic 15

"Less than 1% of protagonists in games are Native/Indigenous."

Sources Icon

Statistic 16

"Only 27.8% of characters in games were female, whereas 70.5% were male with 1.7% being gender ambiguous."

Sources Icon

Statistic 17

"Among game developers, 88% are heterosexual, with the remaining 12% non-heterosexual."

Sources Icon

Statistic 18

"Game companies in the United States grew by 16% in 2019, but diversity representation slowed."

Sources Icon

Statistic 19

"80% of game developers agree that diversity in the workplace is very important."

Sources Icon

... Before You Leave, Catch This! 🔥

Your next business insight is just a subscription away. Our newsletter The Week in Data delivers the freshest statistics and trends directly to you. Stay informed, stay ahead—subscribe now.

Sign up for our newsletter and become the navigator of tomorrow's trends. Equip your strategy with unparalleled insights!